Old 22nd January 2012, 19:26   #1
Aaron&Melanie

Aaron&Melanie is a voice in the crowd
Default Aqua One Ar850 Filter

Was wondering where to get all my filter media replaced. Can't seem to find much online. Cheaply as well.
Aaron&Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:47   #2
2ndtimefish

2ndtimefish has proved to be helpful.

You don't need to replace the sponges or ceramic bits. You don't need to run the carbon/filterwool pieces either. I have the 850 and I buy a big piece of filter wool from ebay and cut it to size. Last time I think I paid about 5 or 6 for a couple of meters, it will last months even changing it every week. The only time you need to run carbon is to remove meds and then you can buy any cheap carbon and tie it in a popsock and lie it in the filter basket.| The branded filter wool pieces are a ridiculous price!

Ann
2ndtimefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:51   #3
Aaron&Melanie

Aaron&Melanie is a voice in the crowd

what are each of the medias. I have the noodles. Are the black sponges carbon? and what are the pieces with the plastic attached. the tank ive bought is quite dirty, dirty dirty so I'd like to replace things slowly.
Aaron&Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:51   #4
2ndtimefish

2ndtimefish has proved to be helpful.

there should be ceramic noodles in the bottom of each tray with a black sponge on top. This is just sponge not a carbon sponge. On top of this Aqua one put a plastic thing that is filterwool with carbon inside, you can usually hear the carbon bits rattle.

This is the tank instruction in case you don't have themhttp://www.aquaone.co.uk/documents/850980lowres30px.pdf

The plastic thing that is filterwool with carbon inside it is the one that I replace with filter wool that I cut to size, the rest stays in there and just gets a gentle wash in tank water. I usually do one set of pads/ceramics one month and the other tray the next and replace the wool every two weeks or one week if it seems very mucky.

If your setting up the tank after buying it used and giving it a good clean then you can wash the ceramics in tank water and reuse them. If the sponges are really bad and you want to replace them then there is various online places, but after postage it may be no cheaper then you LFS. The filter wool I bought was 12-15mm thick and I paid 5.49 delivered from ebay for 2 mtrs. You have to cut it to size, just measure the foam pad for the size.

If your transfering fish from another tank then you can transfer the media from your other filter and the move the fish, just put all your media into the trays.

I think they're great tanks and very good filters, they're very easy to maintain and I've had no problems with mine over the last year.

Ann
2ndtimefish is offline   Reply With Quote