Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » Fish breeding

Old 9th July 2011, 00:10   #1
aquasteve

aquasteve is a voice in the crowd
Default New Angelfish pairs improving?

I recently had three pairs of angels spawn for the first time. They didn't seem to lay many eggs compared to what i've seen around the internet etc. do they progressively lay more eggs as they get older? i suppose diet etc has to do with it but they are well fed. How many spawns does it normally take for a pair to be successful parents? or does this vary greatly depending on the individual fish?
aquasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 08:35   #2
ste12000
Intermediate Fish Breeder

ste12000 has disabled reputation

Hi Aquasteve. Angels can vary from fish to fish, ive had young pairs spawn only 100 eggs and fully grown fish spawn and hatch over 1000 fry..They do usually produce more as they get older.

A lot depends on the fish in question but diet plays a huge part, not just keeping them well fed but the quality of the diet, my breeding pairs get a diet of live foods such as daphnia, mosquito larvae and whiteworm several times per day, dry food is fed sparingly if at all.. All my spawns from angelfish are between 500-1000 strong!! I put this down to the diet of the fish.

Live foods are essential in the successful breeding of tropical fish, daphnia, mosquito larvae and whiteworm can easily be cultured at home and are free.. Perfect.

Last edited by ste12000; 9th July 2011 at 15:44.
ste12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 08:36   #3
Biotope

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasteve View Post
I recently had three pairs of angels spawn for the first time. They didn't seem to lay many eggs compared to what i've seen around the internet etc. do they progressively lay more eggs as they get older? i suppose diet etc has to do with it but they are well fed. How many spawns does it normally take for a pair to be successful parents? or does this vary greatly depending on the individual fish?
The number of eggs will increase as the fish get larger. This applies to all cichlids.

The better conditioned the fish, the more eggs too, yes. Keeping them well fed on a good diet including lots of live food will help.

It does vary on individual fish. Sometimes they get it right first time, others may take a dozen attempts. Some eat the eggs, or just abandon them etc. It's very frustrating sometimes, so just try and be patient.

It sounds like you more or less knew the answers to these questions.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:13   #4
aquasteve

hi, thanks for the replys, can i ask you what you feed your whiteworms? sounds like live food is the way forward! i've only been feeding them dry foods.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:41   #5
ste12000
Intermediate Fish Breeder

ste12000 has disabled reputation

I feed my whiteworm on white bread soaked in water.. They can be pretty prolific but need to be kept cool, not too much of a problem 90% of the time in the UK. They prefer temps around 55-65f...Below is a pic of one of my cultures, i run 7 of these at a time in a wine cooler fridge so i can have enough live food available to feed a busy fishroom.

Last edited by ste12000; 9th July 2011 at 15:44.
ste12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 15:52   #6
aquasteve

Cool thanks. i just bought a starter culture from ebay :-) seems like a very cheap and easy way to feed a lot of hungry fish!
Old 9th July 2011, 16:22   #7
9973julie

9973julie is a voice in the crowd

how do i cultivate mosquito lava./
9973julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 16:38   #8
aquasteve

from what i know, leave a bucket of water outside and let mother nature do the rest, i think they lay eggs in stagnant bodies of water.
Old 9th July 2011, 17:01   #9
thefishkeeper

thefishkeeper is a voice in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9973julie View Post
how do i cultivate mosquito lava./
Put some earth in the bucket, and dead leaves, then just leave it until the larvae appear. Old tank water is best . The mozzies will do the rest