Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish » Cyprinids

Old 2nd March 2011, 23:07   #1
d4ns

d4ns is a voice in the crowd
Default I have 3 Zebra Danios, what next?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Please move my thread if I've put it in the wrong place.

I have a 28L Aquaone tropical fishtank - pretty small I know, it's my first tank!
It has 2 plastic plants, gravel and a couple of ornaments. Temp is set at around 24.4'c.
I have 3 Zebra Danios in there which are excellent. Any recommendations for next fish? How many could I keep in there? I'm looking at maybe getting a small catfish? Can I have just 1 or do they like pairs etc..? What other fish are suitable with Danios I'm my small tank?

My PH is high at around 8, all other results are good.

Thank you.
d4ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:03   #2
FishNewbie

FishNewbie has proved to be helpful.

More danios? Does your setup come with a heater? 24 seems a tad low for a tropical set up. As of catfish there are a gizillion types out there and i couldnt really reccomend one all i can say is have a look at some in a lfs or online and ask if theyd be suitable on here.
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:56   #3
markart

markart has disabled reputation

Zebra Danios are best kept in unheated water.

In all conscience I can't recommend more Danios (ideally in a loose shoal of 6) and to be honest I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank this small. Is there no possiblity of a larger tank?
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:11   #4
d4ns

d4ns is a voice in the crowd

Thanks for replies. Yes, it has a heater, filter and thermometer in there also. One of you say 24'c isn't enough, other says unheated, I'm confused :-(

As I've only just begun my tropical fish journey, live in a small house so don't have room for bigger at the moment and only had this 28L a few months getting a bigger tank is not really an option at present. You wouldn't keep fish in a 28L tank? Strange.

Anyone else with recommendations for compatible fish with Danios?
d4ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:26   #5
Aquatic Fanatic

Aquatic Fanatic is becoming quite invaluable.

Afraid a 28l isn't really suitable for any fish IMHO, let alone danio's that are one of the most active fish you can buy. IMHO i'd be looking at least a 70l as a minimum for these and a 28l as a shrimp set up. I strongly advise not adding any additional fish, as you are likely to run into problems.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:44   #6
markart

markart has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4ns View Post
Thanks for replies. Yes, it has a heater, filter and thermometer in there also. One of you say 24'c isn't enough, other says unheated, I'm confused :-(

As I've only just begun my tropical fish journey, live in a small house so don't have room for bigger at the moment and only had this 28L a few months getting a bigger tank is not really an option at present. You wouldn't keep fish in a 28L tank? Strange.

To clarify. Zebra Danios are best kept in unheated water. they will live at trop temps but life expectancy/ long term health may be compromised. That's my position.

As to the 'Strange' remark, I've been called worse. Take or leave the advice. I take no offence.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:51   #7
Aquatic Fanatic

Aquatic Fanatic is becoming quite invaluable.

Quote:

Please.....Strange....no just not cruel.

Other than this forum, many many sources will talk about stocking, looking at any depth into this you would realise why.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:46   #8
andieu
Senior Moderator

andieu is very obliging

Quote:

Hello d4ns,
Please have a look around on the forum and you'll get an idea as to what volumes are needed for what fish.
I wouldn't put danios in a 28l tank either, in fact there are not many- if any- fish I would put in there. It would make a good shrimp tank imo.

Adding more fish to your tank is asking for problems.
andieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:21   #9
FishNewbie

FishNewbie has proved to be helpful.

My , question about temperature was just in the general sense you said tropical which is usually a higher temperature than 24 degrees. As far as i am aware danios can be kept at room temperature up to around 24-25 degrees. They dont "have" to be kept without a heater as long as it no higher than probably what you have it set at now.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:04   #10
mountain cloud lady

mountain cloud lady is very obliging

As a danio owner over the last 3ys (and with an ever swelling number of them!) I very much agree with others who have said that 28 litres is too small for these very active fish

My initial batch of six were in a 100 litre tank and they have used every square cm of it. They need lots of swimming room and they thrive on as much water current as you can give them. I have a few internal filters providing them with fast jets of bubbly fast flowing water.

There are 12 in there now and that is a maximum for a tank that size.

Since they have kept breeding I now keep the young one's raised from a nursery tank in with my white clouds in a 300 litre tank. Both these fish live really well together.

Temp is set around 20/21C and this is ideal for both these fish

If there is any way you can get a bigger tank then this would be ideal. Longer term another home would be best for these fish - they need more room than their size might suggest along with plenty of well oxygenated water for them to thrive.