Old 22nd February 2011, 17:44   #1
Sandraturpin361

Sandraturpin361 is a voice in the crowd
Default Update on my fishless cycle

Following on from another thread, my ammonia had dropped to 2ppm and I have a nitrite reading for the first time. I think it's 0.50ppm. What should happen now? Will the nitrite rise then drop?

I'm not planning on getting fish until after 18th March as we are going away for two weeks before that.
Sandraturpin361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:04   #2
DavidW

DavidW is a voice in the crowd

Hi you are under way but not there yet.

First is ammonia, then ammonia and nitrite, then as the nitrite builds at first the ammonia should dissapear giving you a nitrite spike then you should eventually get nil amminia and nil nitrite. Your nitrate should start to increase as the nitrite is converted to nitrate.

However be careful because if ytou are going away for two weeks and there is nothing in the tank to create ammonia (ie fish food, added ammonia etc) then there will be nothing for the bacteria to eat and you could end up with your ammonia bacteria dying off (from starvation) and the whole cycle stalling and needing to be restarted.

Is there any way of adding ammonia or something to keep the cycle going whilst you are away.

Adding fish as soon as you get back could be dangerous, unless you keep the cycle going, as your readings might show nil for ammonia and nitrite but that could be due to it all having been eaten rather than the cycle removing it. Adding fish could then mean you might end up doing some sort of fish in cycle.

Cheers
Aquiecence 1000R with tiger barbs, Rhombo Barbs, 2 fishnet flying foxes 1 grown up Bristlenose. One Rio 125 with swordtails, 1 sunset platy, guppies 2 bristlenose catfish with babies and some assasins with babies. One small pond with 6 goldfish and babies.
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:28   #3
Sandraturpin361

Sandraturpin361 is a voice in the crowd

Was thinking of maybe putting part of a feeding block into the tank before we go. Would that be ok? Another suggestion I was given was putting in a frozen prawn. If the cycle completes before we I suppose we could go ahead and get fish and get a gel feeder to leave in the tank while we are away, they are supposed to be better and less harmful.
Sandraturpin361 is offline   Reply With Quote