Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » COLDWATER (TEMPERATE) FISH FORUM » Coldwater fishkeeping

Old 14th December 2010, 13:35   #1
Oxonymous

Oxonymous is a voice in the crowd
Default Is a tank cleaned with fairy re-usable?

Our 18 year-old goldfish died a few weeks ago, and we're looking to get a few new ones. It transpired, however, that my dad cleaned the tank out with fairy liquid, rather than simply hot water, after the old one died. I've heard that using any sort of artificial soap or detergent can irreparably damage the tank; is this true?

Last edited by Oxonymous; 14th December 2010 at 15:03.
Oxonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 14:00   #2
kevin22goldfish

kevin22goldfish is a voice in the crowd

Re-clean with bleach then rinse thoroughly is my recommendation and be sure to let it dry out fully.
600 litre raised wooden pond 2 Shubs, 2 fantails 1 Wakin 200 litre tropical tank with various fish including bristlenoses, kribensis, peppered cory etc 3* breeder tanks of various sizes currently holding a blackmoor
kevin22goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 14:30   #3
Aquatic Fanatic

Aquatic Fanatic is becoming quite invaluable.

Do not clean with bleach, its worse than using the fairy in the first place. Plenty of hot water should do the trick.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:05   #4
Traceyw

Traceyw is very obliging

As long as it is a VERY mild solution it should be OK.

Are you confused now?
Traceyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 17:12   #5
matsp

matsp is very dependable.matsp is very dependable.

Bleach has no (good) use in a fish-tank - unless you intend to kill your fish. Sure, a very weak bleach solution can be used to disinfect a tank that has had some really bad illness in it.

Fairy liquid is soap, essentially, so not too bad. Just clean it THOROUGHLY with warm (not HOT) water.

--
Mats
matsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 17:59   #6
Scorpion Fish

Scorpion Fish is a voice in the crowd

just out of interest, how big is the tank? it sounds like you were keeping the fish on its own so i see a problem already, and if you want more fish it would be good if we knew you were doing it properly. im assuming you have killed the filters if you cleaned the tank, personally i would have kept it running or if it really needed a clean just keep the filter running and add ammonia until you get new fish.
i do hope were not now going to have to go through the reasons why you cant keep goldfish in a tiny tank, or about cycling or dechlorinating and water changes, but im just worried we might.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:03   #7
jaywickrob

jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.

The answer to your question is NO, fairy liquid will not irrepairably damage the tank.
A thorough rinse in tap water is all that's needed to remove the fairy liquid.

Tanks can also be cleaned with a mild bleach solution, after thorough rinsing fill the tank and double dose dechlorinator, empty and then refill with fresh water dechlorinated with a normal dose.

Could you tell us the size of tank and what kind of fish you were intending getting.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:05   #8
Oxonymous

Oxonymous is a voice in the crowd

Let me give you some background. We got the fish when I was two and, my parents not caring that much, he was kept in a bowl for thirteen years, until I got more curious about how to keep him. From then until his death he was in a forty litre tank - too small, I know, but it was as big as they would buy.

When I say get 'new ones', I mean new fish, not goldfish. I'm fairly knowledgeable about keeping the fish and preparing the water in the tank, although I could use some advice as to the best type of fish and the number of them for that size tank.

Thanks for the tips about the fairy liquid, by the way.
Oxonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 15:52   #9
jaywickrob

jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.

Hi Oxo,

40Ltrs is very small, too small for any coldwater fish.

Try posting on the aquarium stocking board and asking what would be most suitable for your tank.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:19   #10
Scorpion Fish

Scorpion Fish is a voice in the crowd

so the fish you got when you were two which just died was 18 years old... so your 20?
do you really have no influence over a bigger tank being kept. i cant imagine a 40L tank with a goldfish in it looking any good, and unless you are good at aquascaping it will probably still look a bit less than spectacular because you cant really keep that much in it.
you must have some source of money, can you not get something bigger off ebay? i wasnt allowed a tank in a room visible to people visiting for quite a while, but then my parents saw my other tanks being kept properly and saw that they dont have to be a tiny tank with a dying fish and so much algae you cant see through the glass and can be beautiful, i now have a 200L tank in the living room and its usually more interesting than the TV.
if all you and they think of a tank as being a 40l pool of suffering with a stunted fish in it then no they probably wont want a bigger version of the same thing, so why not drag them around some good fish shops to look at some of the bright healthy fish they have there and then maybe have a look at the nice looking tanks and cabinets and they might decide they want one and they might even buy it for themselves and let you set it up and look after it (thats what happened with me).

what stock did you have in mind.