Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » Aquarium equipment

Old 12th October 2010, 10:44   #1
gill_29

gill_29 is a voice in the crowd
Default Philips Tropical Aquarium Purifier

Has anyone come across these yet?

http://www.ifeelgoood.com/ (link is to the products Philips website, just incase the link sounds dodgy!)

I saw them being advertised on a website whilst I was looking at filters.

The claims are that when using the product fish can be introduced to a new setup after 3 days and water changes can be upto 150 days apart.

Does anyone know what the impact of ozone is on the nitro cycle?

Also I am a little confused by the information regarding bacteria, as the description mentions that the product will remove any bacteria in the water column and ammoniUM (not ammonia) is dissolved, but if the product is used from day one so is this likely to stop the filter cycling?
gill_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 11:35   #2
ConTici

ConTici has proved to be helpful.

It sounds good, like to see it in practise. Cycling bacteria will attach to surfaces and hide in the filter so I dont think it would have that much impact.

The factsheet explains how it works and it sounds feasible to me, but I'm not a chemist.
ConTici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 12:32   #3
Aquatic Fanatic

Aquatic Fanatic is becoming quite invaluable.

I have seen Ozone used on massive Koi setups, but never on a typical FW set up, sounds interesting. Does anybody have one.

Even if it could remove the need for water changes as frequently, as we know it to dilute, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, water changes re introduce trace elements back into the system as well.

Last edited by Aquatic Fanatic; 12th October 2010 at 12:36.
Aquatic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:30   #4
ConTici

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill_29 View Post
ammoniUM (not ammonia) is dissolved, but if the product is used from day one so is this likely to stop the filter cycling?
I've tried to go throught the chemistry, from what I can see the
ammonia(NH3) is converted to less toxic ammonium nitrate(NH4NO3), bacteria will break down the ammonium into nitrite(NO2) leaving the nitrate(NO3), the purifier and bacteria will break the nitrite to nitrate.

When we talk about Ammonia in an aquarium we actually mean ammonia and ammonium (most tests can't tell the difference). So the bacteria still have Ammonia\Ammonium available and this product cannot replace a mature filter. I think their claims of introducing fish after 3 days is a bit suspect (as is their claim that a tank is mature after 3 weeks without their product).
Old 4th February 2011, 12:31   #5
TM O3

TM O3 is a voice in the crowd

Hi everyone,

Quick introduction: I work at Philips in the Netherlands at the R&D department for this device.

I'm not here to promote the product, only to support you with any questions you may have (what does it do, how does it work, how can I install it, etc.)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
TM O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 12:55   #6
ConTici

Hi TM and welcome to the forum,
I have a questions,

1. Can this be used on a marine aquarium and if not is there any plans to introduce it?
Old 4th February 2011, 14:07   #7
Joe32

Joe32 is a voice in the crowd

If you are considering any type of ozone generator please look into it in great detail as Ozone is highly toxic in quite small amounts,That is one of the reasons that a lot of the reef guys have moved away from using it.
Think I will just stick to water changes and using a UV
Have a look at the symptoms of ozone exposure

"Ozone is an irritant that can cause coughs, chest discomfort and irritation of the nose throat and trachea. Individuals exposed to concentrations between 0.10 and 0.40 have exhibited an adaptive response, at least in terms of lung function. At rates from 1.0 ppm to 2.0 ppm people may experience watering eyes, decreased pulse rate with a fall in blood pressure, cough, difficulty breathing, and other changes. Physical activity accentuates the effects. If the ozone concentrations continue to rise, more severe symptoms may develop. These may include headache, upset stomach, or vomiting, pain or tightness of the chest, shortness of breath or tiredness, which may last for several days or weeks. Finally, with higher levels of exposure, the lungs may be damaged and death may occur."

Last edited by Joe32; 4th February 2011 at 14:12.
Joe32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 12:25   #8
TM O3

TM O3 is a voice in the crowd

Hi ConTici,

You can use it for marine tanks aswell. There's only one remark that the difference in surface tension of the water (freshwater vs marine water) will result in smaller bubbles so you could get a mist of bubbles if you install the aerator (the little pump which is in the package) directly in the marine tank.
So if you want to use it on a marine tank: no problem at all, but you might want to install it in your skimmer instead of installing it in the tank itself. This way you don't see any bubbles in your aquarium.

@Joe32: you're completely right. And that's exactly why we developed this unit:
Typical ozone units use a high dose of ozone (in our aquarium size range - 25mg/h to even 50mg/h).
They need an expensive redox controller not to overdose. They usually only work a few hours a day, so the high ozone dose is actually not needed.
Their high ozone levels result in lower reaction efficiencies and higher amounts of leftover ozone. As you mentioned, this is not wishful.

We wanted to make an ozone unit that produces exactly the amount of ozone which is needed for the aquarium, that does not need expensive control equipment and has no excess ozone.

So the amount of ozone needed was determined per aquarium size (TAP10, TAP40, TAP120, TAP200, TAP400)

The reaction efficiency is very high, so that there is no excess ozone. This was tested again and again and was finally verified by the KEMA safety institute.
The ozone levels only five centimers above the aquarium are below the European MAC-value (Maximum Allowed Concentration) and are well under 0.050ppm.
When measuring further away from the aquarium (let's say 25cm), the ozone levels are practically not measurable. Just to say we're very sure about the safety of this unit.
TM O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 13:40   #9
Mumfy

Mumfy has disabled reputation

TM
If I was to use this as an addition to my existing filtration during an extended holiday would the ozone levels do any harm to the bacteria in the filter?
Mumfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 16:42   #10
ConTici

Thanks TM I might consider when I change over to marine, I'd looks through the online stuff and there was no mention of it.

I have another concern if thats ok.

I have looked at videos on youtube and the amount of bubbles produced seems like a lot, to be honest I don't like the look and so would probably need to hide it. I dose CO2 on my planted tank and would be concerned that the bubbles would drive off CO2, I'm assuming that I would need to increase the CO2 dose to counter this.