Old 14th June 2010, 21:14   #1
Bubbles84

Bubbles84 is a voice in the crowd
Help Molly pregnant or dropsy?

One of my female mollies has been hanging around above my filter for a while and when I looked at her today she looked prickly.
After a quick google search I found a picture of a fish with dropsy and she looked similar. I was worried so went to catch her then spotted a baby right where she had been sitting now I'm wondering if she is just pregnant.

I don't have a quarantine tank at the mo as it became a baby tank a few weeks ago so I moved her and baby into a breeding net in the baby tank.
I havent seen any more babies but did spot what looked like an egg when I first moved them so I'm hoping the move just stressed her a little but there are 2 other females in my main tank so the baby could have been one of theirs.

Do you think she really has dropsy or is she pregnant?

I'm about to try taking a photo and will upload asap.
Bubbles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 23:48   #2
Bubbles84

Help

I just got some photos of my molly to show you(though they are not the best)

While I was taking the photos I spotted a baby molly not moving on the bottom of the tank and after checking I found that it was dead.
I don't know if it was due to this unwell adult or because I have disturbed the baby tank more than usual today but decided not to risk it anyway and moved the molly back to the other tank keeping her in the breeding net(the baby molly with her is now free swimming in the baby tank).

I have added some salt to the adult tank and raised the temperature slightly as I have read that this can help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (122.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (54.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 15th June 2010, 00:09   #3
blackghost

blackghost is becoming quite invaluable.

If the scales are sticking out at all its dropsy.
blackghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 23:19   #4
Sarah10

Sarah10 has proved to be helpful.

Hi Bubbles84

I can't really tell from your pics, but basically, if she looks like a pine cone, then it's dropsy I'm afraid & there may not be an awful lot you can do

I've lost several platies to dropsy, 2 of whom were pregnant at the time - 1 had 3 fry before she died, the other had just the 1.
The 4 fry survived to be juveniles/verging on adults, but also sadly succombed to dropsy. I've read that it can be hereditary as it can be carried genetically.

Hope the salt & moving her works out for you, fingers crossed
Old 15th June 2010, 23:56   #5
Bubbles84

I am such an idiot...

I was doing a water change earlier and I realised that my molly is acting the same way that one of my cherry barbs did not long after I started fishkeeping;
I was worried she had dropsy after googling her symptoms and quickly fished her out and took her back to the shop where I bought her to ask advice(and because I am to squeemish to kill anything). One of the assistants was very helpful and quickly realised that it wasn't dropsy and after testing the water in the bag confirmed that it was ammonia poisoning. He advised me to do more frequent water changes untill the ammonia level dropped and she was better within a week.

It dawned on me that I hadn't changed the filter sponges in a while and hadn't done any water tests for over a week. I opened the filter and found it was really dirty and one sponge started to fall apart when I squeezed it.
I changed the sponge(only one of the two in the filter) and did a really big water change, its amazing how much you don't see dirt when you see it everyday.

I'm really hoping that it really is just the ammonia as no one else seems to be affected.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:40   #6
Sarah10

Sarah10 has proved to be helpful.

Ammonia poisoning? Uh-oh!
Well done to LFS for spotting it

Glad the clean up sorted your tank out, you were lucky not to lose your fish.
Even if you don't do a full clean every week, just do a small water change once a week & give the sponges a quick rinse in the old tank water while you're at it. That should keep things under control in future