Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish » Oddballs

Old 10th April 2010, 13:40   #1
jmkelly

jmkelly is a voice in the crowd
Default doryichthys martensii

Saw these little fellows in a recent issue, and have always wanted to keep pipefish, especially freshwater. I'd love to hear from anyone who has kept them - what advice can you give on keeping them, as there is very little online? I have a guide to pipefish which I will be checking out shortly, but like to hear personal accounts.

I had thought to keep them alongside freshwater gobies - I'm aware of the delicate nature of pipefish and their fussy feeding, would this make things unfeasible? I would like a trio in a 20gal long.

If I can gather the information, I'm in contact with a store which could get them in for me. Would love to hear from anyone with advice on these fish.

I believe these are true freshwater pipefish, according to fishbase - I had read on another site they were brackish? So please, if anyone can clear that up, that would be great (I'm inclined to believe fishbase...)

Thanks
Jo
jmkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 16:55   #2
jmkelly

I'm guessing this fish is really rare or everyone's regarding me with disgust - ethically is it feasible keeping this fish? Is it a high mortality rate then?

I like to try something challenging, but I'm always wary of where my fish come from - especially if wild caught. I know it means, in some cases, extra care.

Maybe someone out there can advise... I've seen freshwater pipefish once before. I almost wanted to take them on to 'rescue' them in case they went to someone careless! Which is always a daft reason for wanting a fish.
Old 17th April 2010, 09:34   #3
SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.

Hey

I've never kept pipefish before, let alone any freshwater species, nor have I done much reading up on them. But what I can suggest is that you do plenty of reading up yourself on the subject - starting looking for articles on marine pipefish and seahorses - this will give you a rough idea how the most commonly kept pipefishes are dealt with in aquaria. Then read up on the more commonly kept freshwater pipefish species, which should have very similar care requirements to Doryichthys martensii - for example Enneacampus ansorgii.

Good luck
SA
SalmonAfrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 08:49   #4
sagarfuzz

sagarfuzz has disabled reputation

Hi there,

I brought some freshwater pipefish, all of which seemed really healthy and ate well (only live food and frozen cyclops) and then promptly died. Out of the five, I have one left, who is growing rapidly and getting red spots on his belly. I call him Kinky, as he often swims around with a bend in his body.

I keep him in a rainwater tank (about pH 6.8) with liqourice gouramis, sparkling gouramis, aspidorus, spotty ottys and galaxy danios.

I got really concerned when I researched him over the internet whether he was brackish or freshwater, but one pipefish that looked a lot like him online was freshwater and lived in slightly acidic water. I must say, he does seem to be thriving, but I'd love to get a positive ID on him.

He can also change his darker spots at will - fascinating. I've had him for about 6 months now. He was sold to me as a Alligator Pipefish, totally freshwater, eating frozen food (this was true - cyclops) and grows to about 20cm. He is currently 10cm, has thickened considerably and his belly is transparent at the edges.

Let me know how yours are doing!
sagarfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:23   #5
sagarfuzz

This is what I think I have:
http://www.fishbase.gr/summary/speci...y.php?id=11807
Old 7th August 2010, 09:38   #6
sagarfuzz

If not Doryichthys martensii , possibly Microphis Deocata:
http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/...hType=tropical

Anyone got some good info on these?
Old 7th August 2010, 16:33   #7
jmkelly

Hi sagarfuzz,

I never did get hold of any doriycthis in the end! When I went to the shop after making the phonecall, the member of staff I went on to speak to was most unhelpful saying they would see what was in the next delivery, not even offering the option of ordering as the guy over the phone did.

I've decided to steer clear for now due to lack of info. Regarding 'alligator' pipefish, I believe that they are a genuine brackish species, but equally it could be mis-sold or misidentified with common names. It makes it difficult to know when shops sell things by common name only - and wholesalers too, then everyone is at a loss!

Your first link won't work and without a picture I can't do much. I have a good sygnathid book which is very good for identifying fish as it has pictures of virtually every species going. If you can obtain a copy of this book or leaf through it instore, you should be able to identify whether your fish is what you think it is. It's by Rudie H. Kuiter and is just an ID book - really good with lovely pics, with a bit of basic 'this is where they're found and this is the size' info. It isn't about keeping them as such.

I hope your pipefish continues to thrive and be a success - I have a bumblebee goby which was sold to me as pure freshwater and has lived this way for over two years; the person who sold it to me said it would live for about six months (!) and I've come to believe it may be brackish. I'm stuck as to whether to create a tank just for him or to leave him be in case the stress of change may kill him!

Pipefish are so delicate I really would try and find what would be the best living conditions - but Kuiter's book is great for identifying species.

Jo
Old 11th August 2010, 07:39   #8
sagarfuzz

That's weird, I've just checked the link and it worked fine for me.

I, too, am loathe to move him to a brackish tank if he is doing so well in a rainwater tank - plus if he is one of the above species, a rainwater tank is perfect for him. I'm wavering towards Deocata, due to his red dots looking more like red stripes every day...

Can you tell me the name or ISBN of the book you mentioned?
Thanks!
Old 14th August 2010, 18:19   #9
sagarfuzz

Default Photos of freshwater pipefish

Hi there,
Thought I'd add these. I find it hard to get a good shot with my camera, I'm afraid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kinky's head small.JPG (88.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Kinky and Dario small.JPG (129.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 15th August 2010, 13:51   #10
SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.SalmonAfrica is a forum stalwart.

Nice fish, sagar Can you post a full tank shot, please? It looks interesting!
SalmonAfrica is offline   Reply With Quote