Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish health

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18th October 2009, 18:36   #1
Roswellian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Roswellian is a voice in the crowd
Default Help With Using Interpet Anti Fungus And Finrot

Hello Everyone,

I have a small fish tank 14L which is about 10L full and its been up and running for about 6 weeks

Around a week ago I lost 1 of my 2 goldfish not sure why he died but i've noticed that my remaining goldfish has tail rot. i bought Interpet anti fungus and fin rot and i'am having trouble understanding how to treat the tank.

The directions are;
1) Calculate the volume of water to be treated from the booklet

2) After shaking the bottle thoroughly select the most appropriare measure

3) Optimise Aeration

4) Remove Carbon and zeolite filter media from the aquarium

5) Anti Fungus and Finrot must be fully dissolved by stirring in warm tap water before being evenly distributed over the aquarium surface. NOTE 1 pint will dissolve 20mls of Anti Fungus and finrot.

I've worked out that i need to add 2 pipettes.

What I having trouble understanding is how much warm water do i need for mixing and do i add the warm water to the tank after mixing.?
Roswellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 18:42   #2
AnnP
Novice Fish Breeder
 
AnnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,880
AnnP has disabled reputation
Default

Welcome to the forum. You only need a small amount of water. You will continue to have problems with your tank as it is too small in size for goldfish. Its recommended that they have a minimum of 40 litres per fish.
AnnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 18:57   #3
Roswellian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Roswellian is a voice in the crowd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnP View Post
You will continue to have problems with your tank as it is too small in size for goldfish. Its recommended that they have a minimum of 40 litres per fish.

I bought the tank at Pets at Home called "My First Aqaurium" most of their tanks are less than 40L. I only have tiny goldfish.
Roswellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 19:26   #4
jaywickrob
 
jaywickrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4,950
jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.jaywickrob is exceptional.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswellian View Post
I bought the tank at Pets at Home called "My First Aqaurium" most of their tanks are less than 40L. I only have tiny goldfish.
Within two years those tiny Goldfish should be around 10" long not including tail, they grow very fast & should live in excess of twenty years given the chance, or they soon get sick and die.
You have juvenile Goldfish, they are very messy creatures & require sufficient water to dilute all their waste, if they don't have this they basically end up living in their own toilet with obvious consequences.
Could you post water test results for Ammonia, NitrITE, NitrATE & Ph?
Your fish died because it was being poisoned by toxins in the water, the remaining fish won't be far behind unless you provide a much larger home for it.
There's no point treating with any medication unless you're sure water parameters are perfect, which in such a small volume of water, they won't be.

Goldfish continuously produce Ammonia as a result of respiration, Goldfish poo decomposes in the tank producing yet more Ammonia, excess food also decomposes producing Ammonia. Ammonia is highly toxic to fish, it burns the skin & gills, for this reason you need to be able to test the water to make sure it's safe for your fish.
NitrITE is produced by bacteria that develop as the tank matures to process Ammonia. NitrITE is also highly toxic to fish, it inhibits the fishes ability to process Oxygen in the water, effectively suffocating them. You need to be able to test the water for NitrITE.
Eventually another bacteria develops to process the NitrITE into NitrATE, still toxic but in higher concentrations, which can easily be controlled with regular water changes. When a tank has reached this stage it is whats known as Cycled or mature.
I suggest you immediately change as much water as you can, replacement water must be temperature matched & dechlorinated
Every single day change as much water as you can, dechlorinating & temperature matching replacement water.
Stop feeding completely for a few days, less food = less waste= less Ammonia.
Provide your fish with a much larger home with efficient filtration as soon as possible.

Sorry it's not good news, but Goldfish are large fish which require large tanks, excessive filtration & well oxygenated water.
Single tailed Goldfish, Common, Comet & Shubunkin are pond fish which don't belong in a tank. Fancy Goldfish are more fragile and cannot withstand outdoor winter temperatures, they require an absolute bare minimum of 40Ltrs per fish. Goldfish should never be kept alone as they are gregarious, they like the company of thier own kind so as they can interact with each other and feel secure. The minimum tank size recommended for Goldfish is 100Ltrs, in which you could keep just two Fancy Goldfish.

Jay
__________________
Rob
"I never have doubts. Ever. Occasionally, however, I have seen the need to revise expectation of outcome reflecting input of new anomalous data."
jaywickrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 19:40   #5
Roswellian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Roswellian is a voice in the crowd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywickrob View Post
Could you post water test results for Ammonia, NitrITE, NitrATE & Ph?


Jay

Ammonia is high but the rest are normal. I have been using Ammo Lock every week. Was told not to use while treating with Finrot
Roswellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 21:47   #6
Miss Pennyapple
 
Miss Pennyapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,679
Miss Pennyapple has proved to be helpful.
Default

The only thing you need to remove ammonia is water changes. Please listen to the advice you have been given by Jay. You need to be changing 100% of the water in that tiny tank probably twice a day now to keep the fish safe. Meds are useless in this situation and will cause more harm than good as your tank is so inadequate. Replacement water should be dechlorinated.

You need to get a much larger tank asap, and be performing twice daily water changes until you do. Otherwise, it doesn't look good.
__________________
Juwel Rio 240 - 3 x Moors, 1 x Ranchu
Miss Pennyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 18:38   #7
Sega
 
Sega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 437
Sega is a voice in the crowd
Default

I agree with the others on the tank side of things, small tanks water can go nasty in no time at all.
If like me your strapped for cash try your local papers and Freecycle for second hand tanks. I managed to find a Juwel Panorama 100 with cabinet stand, 2 ehiem Professional exsternal filters and all the stuff needed to use it for 140 which may sound a lot but the tank itself brand new on its own was just under 400.
Also the my first tank that pets at home sell is really suitable for nothing but young Fry and also I do know it comes without any filtration so have you purchased a filter with it?
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Jump to another section


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:11.