Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » Aquarium equipment

View Poll Results: Which external power filter would you recommend
Aqua Clear 16 1.49%
Eheim 365 33.89%
Filstar 4 0.37%
Fluval 387 35.93%
Hydor 5 0.46%
Penguin 2 0.19%
Rena 25 2.32%
Tetratec 178 16.53%
Whisper 2 0.19%
Other 93 8.64%
Voters: 1077. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th May 2008, 19:16   #111
papasan

papasan is a voice in the crowd

are there any juwel tank owners out there that have replaced the internal filter with an external ? if so do you leave the old filter housing in as if i removed mine i would have a void as i have a permanent stone background in place i am looking at either the fluval 305 or the tetratec 1200 sorry if i have jumped in a voting thread

thanks for any info

papasan.
papasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 10:13   #112
MJN

MJN is a voice in the crowd

I would say most remove the filter box as it is one of the reasons for choosing an external filter - more in-tank space. Perhaps you could keep an eye on eBay for a cheap 2nd-hand background to fill in the gap?

Mathew
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 19:14   #113
Ade "Wolfenrook" Dunn

I removed mine, but you can use them to hide the intake and outlet of an external if you don't want to take it out.

Personally I found mine big, black, and ugly and it had to go.

Ade
Old 29th May 2008, 19:39   #114
papasan

papasan is a voice in the crowd

thanks for your replies i think i will take it out although i have been told that i could run both together but then i will have a 1200lph + 600lph? + the same old of having to remove lots of gear every time you need to get at your juwel internal i think juwel should make a tank without any filter so you can add what you want anyone at jewel take heed!

cheers
papasan.
papasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 19:45   #115
Ade "Wolfenrook" Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasan View Post
thanks for your replies i think i will take it out although i have been told that i could run both together but then i will have a 1200lph + 600lph? + the same old of having to remove lots of gear every time you need to get at your juwel internal i think juwel should make a tank without any filter so you can add what you want anyone at jewel take heed!

cheers
papasan.
It would be nice if Juwel used a more modular approach to their aquariums yes, but then I get the feeling that if they did so their prices would soar! I for one think they need to get rid of the stupid i-bar lighting that they provide with most of their range before worrying about filters! It's expensive to run, and a nightmare to repair or replace when it goes kaput!!

Back on topic, there are those who are planted tank hobbyists who would say that in some tanks (180 litre ones) 1800lph would be just right. lol

Ade
Old 6th June 2008, 18:22   #116
JoJoJo

JoJoJo has disabled reputation

I have used Ehiem Ecco 2213 external canister filter for several years. It has no leaking, works fine! It is expensive, but durable.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:35   #117
Jamieh

Jamieh has disabled reputation
Default Eheim should watch out

This thread amazes me....

I'm rumming the following filters

Eheim 2028
Eheim 2217
Fluval 305
Fluval 205
Tetratec 1200

Without doubt considering the price and build, the tetratec 1200 wins hands down.

Yes... the eheim 2028 is slighty better in terms of build... but still comes with those ANCIENT bright green fittings...

My tetra cost me 62.50 brand new on ebay and it's a dream - holds tons of media, powerful, quiet, nice smokely grey fittings and all the media is included.

I can only assume all those eheim votes are pople who've bought into the brand heritage of eheim without realising how amazing the tetra filters are for the money,

I would have said eheim all the way until last year - now, i won't buy another eheim filter unless they reduce the price.

Well done tetra....! Now... why not apply the same quality to the rest of your hardware...?
Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:23   #118
Brett Hillson

Brett Hillson is a voice in the crowd

I have had 2 Fluval 404 and have had big problems with them leaking, I had got about 2 years out of each and ended up using the 1st as spares, then with the second after 2 years when I lost power to the filter it would start gushing water from the sides, great fun one day returning home from work finding there was a power cut and about 20 buckets of water all over the kitchen floor and damagin my tank stand due to the water leaking in the wood. I had tried every trick in the book, including the vasaline, boiling the O ring. Not only this I use to have issues with the priming again trying every trip the LFS recomended and what every trick on the web, some times it would take up to an hour to get it working after stripping down the tank and filters. I have now swapped to an Eheim external and Im am finding it a joy so far, ive cleaned inside the filter 3 times and do weekly water changes with the tank and have found it quite and relyable (so far!)
Brett Hillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 13:42   #119
Rocket aquatics

Rocket aquatics is a voice in the crowd

Tetra Tec for me, they are a good value excellent filters
Rocket aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:05   #120
Mark300zx

Mark300zx is a voice in the crowd

how do these filters compare with the amount of water filtered to electricity consumed, with the rising price and environmental consequences it may be poignant, particulary if the cheap cost of the unit is overided by the cost of running it for a year?
Mark300zx is offline   Reply With Quote