Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish » Catfish

Old 21st March 2009, 21:46   #1
csiguru

csiguru is a voice in the crowd
Default Albino Cory Gestation period

Hi there, despite a few setbacks recently (see posts in other threads) I have just come to the realisation that one of my albino corys has become - how can I put this nicely - very fat!!

I am fairly certain that she is in fact pregnant - but can anyone tell me what the rough gestation time is for a cory catfish? I know guppys are about 28days but I never thought the corys would breed so I know very little about it!!

I have attached the best shot I can get of "her" do you agree she is pregnant or just fat? Her underside at the front is definately bulging!

Any advice much appreciated - i'm already getting very excited! lol
csiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 21:46   #2
csiguru

For some reason it won't attach my picture (its small enough and a jpeg??) - will keep trying!
Old 21st March 2009, 22:03   #3
masterplan
Fish Breeding Beginner

masterplan is becoming quite invaluable.

In my experience, my bronze cory female (your albino is probably a bronze with lack of pigment) becomes fat and then after a few days there's eggs all over the tank

I've attached a picture to compare my male and female ( female at the back obviously, but looks almost as thin as the male when not full of eggs)

Last edited by masterplan; 21st March 2009 at 22:05.
masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 22:15   #4
csiguru

Here's a picture - what do you think? Pregnant or fat! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cory.jpg (68.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 21st March 2009, 22:18   #5
masterplan
Fish Breeding Beginner

masterplan is becoming quite invaluable.

i'd say full of eggs due to her 'chin' being quite a bit off the gravel and being pretty bulky.

If she starts zipping around and swimming up the glass eratically then that's a sign she's laying eggs
Old 21st March 2009, 22:23   #6
csiguru

Fab! I'm so excited, she was doing this a couple days ago but no sign of eggs. I know from reading other people's posts that it can be a bit hit or miss with the eggs but i'm gonna try my best to rescue them (if she ever lays them!) and bring them on. Fingers crossed and I will put up any pics if she lays any soon.

Thanks for the help once again masterplan! :-)
Old 21st March 2009, 22:27   #7
AndyGordon

Making a water change using SLIGHTLY cooler water is a great spawning trigger for some corys.
Old 21st March 2009, 22:32   #8
csiguru

Thanks Andy I hadn't realised that, if no change by the morning I wil do as you suggest.
Old 21st March 2009, 23:49   #9
meoldbucket

meoldbucket is a voice in the crowd

Today I've just had the fun of desperately dividing a tank as my venezualans decided to spawn. I was actually buying some keyholes when the phone went to let me know they had spawned again. Major panic as I have'nt set the new tank up yet to transfer everyone out. You haven't mentioned how many corys you've got or what their tankmates are. Usually best to have more than a pair (two males they say are best). Mine are usually fat for a few days. The girls sit around looking really lazy and as I've only got one male (and one at about 8mm) he's quite busy. I last changed the water a week ago, I don't have to drop temperature in the tank, they seem quite happy to lay whenever they feel like it. How long is your cory, mine are still only about an inch and they produce about 70 eggs at a go. The fry are difficult to bring on if you've never done it before as they are a lot smaller than livebearers. Grab a divider from your lfs and a net breeding trap for livebearers. If they lay on a leaf (fat chance there with my lot) move it into the breeding trap and wait.
Just for info, looking at your substrate it's not very kind to a corys barbels. Although I like to use sand for mine the same as masterplan you could consider moving down to really fine rounded gravel. The finer it is the happier they will be snuffling through it.
meoldbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:21   #10
csiguru

Hi there, yeah like a lot of people I was badly advised about the substrate and I am investigating the possible shift to sand - although the corys seem ok just now I know it will be kinder to them. There are 4 corys in the tank - 2 albino and 2 peppered. There are also two dwarf plecos, 4 neons, 2 dwarf gourami and a siamese fighter. All of the tankmates are quite docile - except when live food is in the tank so I reckon any eggs or fry will soon be viewed as a new food source! To be honest I never intended to breed any fish, if I can get hold of any of the eggs and raise them I would be happy but I'm also just as happy to let nature take its course!

I am slightly concerned though as my cory has been getting fatter for nearly two weeks now with no sign of laying eggs, I've heard of other corys dying from not laying their eggs so I am monitoring her very closely.