Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » GENERAL FISHKEEPING » General Fishkeeping

Old 3rd February 2009, 21:32   #1
fishything

fishything is a voice in the crowd
Help Best place to buy Tropical fish in the North East?

I live in Hartlepool in the North East of England and am wondering what's the best place to buy my Tropical fish from?

I did go to Maidenhead Aquatics in Stokesley on Sunday, but are they any good?

I hope someone can please help, thank you for your time.
fishything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:04   #2
johngillman24

johngillman24 is a voice in the crowd

Hi,

There are a few good shops in the North East, however some tend to be specalized in terms of what they stock. Aqua Blue Zaire in Peterlee is very good for african cichlids as is Horns Garden Centre in Shotton. Chilton Aquatics has an interesting stock selection in a relatively small fish room. Another good retailer is Dobbies Garden Centre which has a good fish department which stocks a good variety of tropical and marine fish.
By the far the best in the North in my opinion is Fish Alive in Dragonville in Durham. It had a major expansion recently and has an massive selection of fish including good oddballs, including some of the rare and bizarre things that you dont often see, and I often take the trip from Newcastle to visit as the advice from the staff there is friendly and the best ive probably ever had. I hope this helps as Ive been to most of the aquatic shops in the North East to track down some elusive species. Fish Alive is really worth a look.
johngillman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 09:34   #3
ahill92

ahill92 is a voice in the crowd

Just to echo what johngillman24 has said, I would also recommend Dobbies. After trying other lfs over the last few years I now buy all my fish from Dobbies and have a 100% survival record from them (touch wood).

The new aquatics section at the Metro Centre branch of Pets at Home has a pretty good selection (although I'm not convinced about some of the staff knowledge after overhearing one telling a potential customer that a common plec would only grow to about 5").

Hope that helps
ahill92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:17   #4
Fishy Wishy

Fishy Wishy has disabled reputation

i would say mostly marines, its in a little trading estate in sunderland. they have a huge selection of cichlids, marines, coral, tropicals. i got my oscar from them, they are very good in there, they traded all my african cichlids for american ones once. 2 thumbs up for them!
dobbies garden centre up near Ponteland is good too.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:19   #5
reefman

reefman has disabled reputation

If you mean the Mostly Marines that was at Shotton and moved to Peterlee its no longer there. I only keep marines but I am from Hartlepool, there is of course Mettauatics at St Aidens, Chris is a good bloke, and I buy marine there, theres Raby Road aquatics but cant really say anything about them and another one in owton manor lane I think but I dont go there either. Ive only heard good things about Fish Alive from a trops point of view
Old 4th February 2009, 18:49   #6
fishything

fishything is a voice in the crowd

Thank you so much.
fishything is offline   Reply With Quote