Old 28th October 2008, 18:26   #1
surreygirl

surreygirl is a voice in the crowd
Help How do Air Stones Work??

I'd like to get one for my tank for decoration and to give the fish some bubbles to swim in. I'm just not sure how you connect them up.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Cat
surreygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 19:02   #2
davespages

davespages is very obliging

You will need ain air pump.

The cheapest air pumps are Diahphram air pumps. They utilise a permanent magnet on an arm, conected to a diaphram, As the alternating current from the mains voltage (50hz) changes the poles of the electomagnet it pulls and pushes the permanent magenet from both polls.

This happens at 50hz, 50 times a second.

An Air stone bassicly diffuses this output of air in the water, Smaller bubbles rise to the surface slower, allowing for more time... more oxygen to dissolve into the water.

As they rise to the top, they drag water with them in a "columb"
Water at the surface is richer in oxygen so this turns over the water, transfering oxygen rich water lower down in replacement of oxygen depleted water.

Larger bubbles wont provide the same oxygen content as the same volume of air that small bubbles will produce.

Cheap air pumps can be obtained for as little as £6-10 and an air stone with pipe as little as £2.

The last "interpet" air pump i bought was £7.99 and came with a free air stone and 1metre of air tube!
davespages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 19:50   #3
comp.wiz

comp.wiz is very dependable.comp.wiz is very dependable.

You just need to buy the componants (air pump, air stone, air line). Place the air stone in the water and place the air pump out of the water. Make sure the air stone is weighed down or it will rise to the surface. Turn the air pump on and you have bubbles.

Make sure that either you get a check/one way valve or place the air pump above the tank as the water will syphon back out of the tank whent the airpump is off.