Old 10th August 2008, 09:12   #1
Sass

Sass is a voice in the crowd
Default Twisted Orfe advice!

Hi,

I have 3 large golden orfe who have become badly twisted, we think due to some paint falling into the pond when we had men painting our house last year! I know Orfe are sensitive to chemical changes in the water and to be honest they are quiet badly twisted, they can still swim okay, but now rarely seem to come up to feed! In fact we thought one had died because we didn't see it for 2 weeks despite it being the middle of July when the fish are at their most active.

We have had them about 10 years, and I'm not sure how long they live, but I guess my question is, is there anything else we can do to help them? They seem to spend their time hiding in the top end of the pond and they used to be bullies in the pond, gobbling up food knocking the others out of the way but now they couldnt care less when its feeding time. I could try and get pictures, but doubt they'd be very good!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sass
Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 10:52   #2
AndyGordon

I'm not sure how or why it happens but Orfe do become 'bent' or twisted due to chemicals in their water, even medication can cause it and as far as I'm aware the condition is irreversable. If your fish have become so badly affected that they can no longer feed then the kindest thing might be to end the suffering quickly and humanely.
Sorry that probably isn't what you had in mind but you are in the best position to make the judgement because you can see how they are being affected by the condition.

Andy
Old 10th August 2008, 11:34   #3
tom00_uk

tom00_uk has disabled reputation

if they can not swim normally culling would be best for them, the live and suffer is not fair
tom00_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 20:20   #4
Sass

Sass is a voice in the crowd

Thanks for the responses. I think the kindest thing is to remove them. In 20 years of pond keeping, I have only had to kill a fish once. Any advice on the best way of doing this.
Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 20:23   #5
AndyGordon

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...ead.php?t=4352

The article describes a fast, humane and completely stress free method.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:26   #6
AnnP

I have used the oil of cloves and its a very quick peaceful way for your fish to go.
Old 13th August 2008, 20:42   #7
davespages

davespages is very obliging

Many years ago my parents had a golden orfe with a bent tail...

Needless to say...it was there for months... then just vanished... never to be seen again.
davespages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 12:12   #8
jpcwebb

jpcwebb has proved to be helpful.

I have a blue orfe with a bent tail - never affected it's ability to swim and eat, so I've never had a concern (in fact it's nickname is Kinky).
jpcwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 12:53   #9
Margaret

Margaret has proved to be helpful.

This is interesting.I have 3 orfe,they are over 18 years old and fully grown.I had a fourth but it sadly died 3 years ago.At the time,another 2 looked ropey but they recovered.One of them looks a bit bent each spring but then later in the year appears to be normal

However this year it seemed as if it was worse than usual,and wasn't going to improve.I thought there was little i could do,however it was eating well so i just kept an eye on it.

Watched them yesterday whilst feeding and i really honestly could not tell which one it was.I have had no problems with any other fish or water quality in the pond,so it is a complete mystery.I am led to believe that orfe only live to a maximum 20 years old,is this true?And can anyone explain how it could be bent but then straighten out again?
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote