Old 4th July 2008, 07:38   #1
Gormangler

Gormangler is a voice in the crowd
Default Cobbles in a pond

I have recently built a formal raised pond, this is my first attempt and it appears to be going quite well thus far. The pump and filter are installed, there are now 8 small fish in it, which seem to be happy and content.

My question for those more experienced than me is.

The water is now very clear, you can easily see to the bottom of the pond. I want to make the bottom more attractive by using cobbles. Does anyone forsee any problems with doing that. Is it going to have an adverse affect on the pump or the eco balance of the pond? Or indeed the ability of the fish to feed from the bottom.
Gormangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 08:09   #2
koiboi31

koiboi31 has disabled reputation

100% no way put cobbles / rocks / pebbles in the pond.

Rocks etc trap and hold all the fish poop and uneaten food, where it sits and rots in the very same water your fish are living in. That is very unhealthy for them and can lead to parasites, fin rot and death (As the waste rots hydrogen sulphide gas forms under those rocks).

To maintain any kind of cleanliness you have to have a very high amount of maintenance in a rock based pond.

I simply wouldn't advise this at all - think of the pond as the frame in an art piece and it is simple there to show off the living art (fish).

Make the frame to fancy and it can detract from the art itself.

Make sense?

Last edited by koiboi31; 4th July 2008 at 08:39.
koiboi31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 08:24   #3
Gormangler

Gormangler is a voice in the crowd

Koiboi,
Many thanks for the reply, makes a lot of sense, I will forget that idea.

Cheers for the reply.

G
Gormangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 09:46   #4
BigKev

BigKev has disabled reputation

I used to have pebbles in the bottom of my pond. I need to move a few things around a couple of months later and the water amoung the pebbles was black and foul.

I now have no substrate in the pond.

Your pond will soon form a natural layer of dirt across the bottom and will look fine.
BigKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 10:38   #5
AndyGordon

Any black coating of the pebbles is due to the presence of hydrogen sulphide, exactly as predicted by Koiboi.
Old 5th July 2008, 12:08   #6
deesee

deesee has disabled reputation

Looks like i am heading for trouble, i planted my lilies in 6 baskets using pebbles only, they streatched across my pond leaving a 10" gap behind them to the end of the pond, i back filled the gap with more pebbles to give me a underwater beach 4ftx2ftx4" deep, looks very nice, cannot see the baskets, and the minnows love it, was it a bad idea, time will tell. The pump hangs 2" above the beach so there is a good flow of water, i await your replies with trepidation, Derek.
deesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 12:40   #7
koinut

koinut has disabled reputation

Hi deesee.

Not a good idea to make an underwater beach of pebble's, you would do well to take heed of the post's above.

Andy T.
koinut is offline   Reply With Quote