Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish health

Notices

Old 7th June 2008, 11:41   #1
johnfish

johnfish is a voice in the crowd
Default Golden Orfe tail and fin problem

Hi there,

I am wondering whether anyone can help.

I have a golden orfe (about 12" in length) and it has developed a problem with its tial and back fin.

In particular, the "tail" (just before you reach the fin) appears to be red and swollen. The swelling also appears to be concentrated on one side. The result is that the tail is bent to one side. Additionally, when the fish is not swimming, the fish's tail and fin de-stabilise the fish - causing its rear to float to one side (the swollen side) - thereby almost tipping the entire fish to one side.

The fish is not really pat of the community now - preferring to be on its own. It is still feeding and when it swims it appears to be quite strong - although it is not very active.

I have looked at the possibility of fin rot - but have ruled that out as there is no rot to the fin. Could the fish have been injured (perhaps by a pesky heron that was stalking the pond recently) and this just be a temporary problem (although the fish has been like this for a few weeks now)?

Grateful for advice.

John

Last edited by johnfish; 7th June 2008 at 11:46.
johnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 12:00   #2
AndyGordon

It sounds like a bacterial infection from your description possibly as you say caused through a small injury.
The trouble is that Orfe don't tolerate medication all that well at all. There are two things worth trying:
A salt bath for an hour or so each day where 2gms of salt have been added per litre.
A topical application of methylene blue or similar - example
Old 7th June 2008, 20:18   #3
johnfish

johnfish is a voice in the crowd

Many thanks Andy. I'll try the salt bath first.

John
johnfish is offline   Reply With Quote