Go Back   Practical Fishkeeping Forum » TROPICAL FISH FORUM » Tropical fish health

Notices

Old 24th November 2007, 18:01   #1
naomigwen

naomigwen is a voice in the crowd
Default Flicking/Rubbing - now a death

Posted a couple of days ago - edited to make more readable!

I have a cayman 60 professional (75 litres), bogwood, 3 small plants, 2 plastic, 1 moss-covered coconut cave. Tank up and running since end July.

Most recent readings(10 litre water change/gravel vaccuum since):
NH3 >0.1mg
NO2 > 0.1mg
NO3 0mg
ph 7.0
Water temp 24C

Platies - 5 mature, 4 half-grown, 6 babies (born in tank). 1 half-grown bristlenose plecostomus.

Despite my best intentions, initially water quality problems caused by my stupidity (overfeeding, under cleaning etc). Also filter didn't have time to mature properly as population exploded due to one continuously pregnant female.

This led to nightmare nitrite readings and fish flicking,rubbing and swimming in filter stream. One mature platy then very poorly with cotton wool fungus over fins. One other had something that looked like piece of rice sticking out of its side.

Following advice from LFS fish treated with Waterlife Protozin (carbon removed) and I have worked hard to improve water quality. Cotton wool fungus went immediately and 'rice' a couple of days later. All water parameters now normal (Iinterpet reagent test kit - see above results) and tested weekly. I have also recently added Hydor air pump, which seems to have improved water quality no end.

Fish still flicking so re-treated, now 3 times (had to repeat as nitrites meant had to keep changing water). Last dose upped by 50% following advice from Waterlife (no water change during treatment) and at end of treatment fish stopped flicking and rubbing. Two days later they started again.

Two platies now hanging about either at top or bottom of tank looking sorry for themselves. I have had no deaths and no other symptoms (no clamped fins, fungus, visible parasites, no slime, no whitespots etc). I use aquasafe, cycle etc. I have added polyfilter. Am currently treating with sterazin as Waterlife chap said it sounded like gill flukes. Left ample time between treatments and also did water changes. What on earth do I do now? I feel sick that I have made my fish poorly. All help gratefully received.

Last edited by naomigwen; 25th November 2007 at 20:31.
naomigwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 20:07   #2
naomigwen

Just had to put one fish down (clove oil). He looked glad to go. Two more looking poorly. Gutted. Any newbies reading this, please please please:
1. read up BEFORE you buy fish,
2. CLEAN your tank thoroughly and regularly and
3. TEST water weekly. (absolutely vital)

I thought I had done the first two properly, however I hadn't and now, despite now ensuring perfect water conditions and maintenance, my poor fish are paying the price for my earlier ignorance.
Old 26th November 2007, 07:34   #3
purdyspatch

purdyspatch has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about your loss. Iv'e just lost one to the same problem aswell. Not sure whether it was caused by the original problem which I,m still trying to figure out or by the medicine. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...ead.php?t=6783
It does put you off fishkeeping after I read and did everything by the book.
purdyspatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 12:43   #4
naomigwen

Many thanks - they are my four-year old son's fish, which makes me feel even MORE responsible for them. It was one of his favourites that died and he was quite upset for all of 15 minutes!

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same problem, it feels sickening to have something wrong with them, but just not know what. I'm beginning to think that the endless water changes I've had to perform and medication have stressed them out as much as whatever infection/parasite they've got.

One dose of sterazin and 24 hours later they do seem to have perked up a bit. I have reduced their food to one small feed a day to help water quality (they are not that hungry with medicine anyway). Have not seen any flicking today, but usually happens at night. anyway. The one platy that was listless is no longer hanging about at the top, however she is darting up and down from top to bottom, so don't know whether this a good or bad sign! Did a strip test today and water parameters still all 0, ph 7.0, aerating tank 24hrs, so I'll now just have to wait and see...

I was reading about eSHa Exit and eSHa 2000 and was wondering if people would recommend them over Waterlife products?