PDA

View Full Version : API Nitra-Zorb - how does it work?!!

Sc0tty
9th December 2012, 18:27
Hi guys and gals, seasons greetings to all fish friends out there!

Just a quick one, I have high tap nitrates (40ppm) but as I keep Lake Tanganyika cichlids I like to keep my tank nitrates at no more than 20ppm.

I currently use a nitrate cylinder (the Shirley Aquatics thing - http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-supplies/aquaworld-nitrate-remover/AWNR ) when I do my water changes, but I am curious about the API Nitra-Zorb. Is this something to fits into the external filter? How often should it be replace? can it be recharged with a salt solution?

Also, has anyone used the pozzani nitrate filter? Would this be a better permanent option for me?

P.S, my aquarium nitrates never go above 40, as change water every week or so, and I do not overfeed or have excessive fish stock. I appreciate as much advice as possible on long term nitrate reduction.

Canadian_Eh?
10th December 2012, 05:41
Chemically, all the products you mention are pretty much the same thing. They're all ion exhangers that substitute another ion (probably chloride Cl-) for the nitrate. You should be able to recharge them all the same way. The main difference would be how you use them (ie on the tap, plumbed in the water line, or inserted in the filter).

For the API stuff: yeah, you'd use it in your filter. I've never tried it, but I'd say how often you'd recharge it would depend on the amount of nitrate present (you'd probably have to try it to find out). Even if you use that stuff, I'd still use a nitrate remover on your tapwater anyway; since you don't want to add nitrate during your water changes.

The API stuff is mostly to keep the nitrates down between WC's. It doesn't replace the need for regular water changes though; because nitrate isn't the only reason you do water changes. I don't know if I really see much need for it personally; it's kind of a band-aid for some of the problems you'd get with an overstocked tank.

The pozzani unit would probably be the one you'd have to touch the least. It looks like it has the most volume; so you'd go longer between recharges, and possibly improve efficiency (more residence time in the filter usually equals a better job of filtering... but only up to a point). Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much water you're going through.

Kezzo80
10th December 2012, 07:41
If you have high Nitrates (legal limit is 50) in tap water Id treat before you put it in your tank.

And API nitra zorb is ****. No substitute for regular pwc's

ConTici
10th December 2012, 07:56
I'd recommend JBL Bionitratex. Stick it in a filter and for 12 months it will remove nitrate using anaerobic bacteria. No recharging and relatively cheap when compared to other solutions, plus I like the fact that it uses a natural solution to the problem.

A few of us have used this with very good results.
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66600

Sc0tty
11th December 2012, 12:38
I'd recommend JBL Bionitratex. Stick it in a filter and for 12 months it will remove nitrate using anaerobic bacteria. No recharging and relatively cheap when compared to other solutions, plus I like the fact that it uses a natural solution to the problem.

Thanks. My problem is my tap water is 40ppm so I will have to continue to treat my water change water at source. Damn !

ConTici
11th December 2012, 13:45
My tap water is 40ppm and I dont treat the water. In one tank plants use it and in the other bionitratex and java moss takes care of it. Many planted tank enthusiasts deliberately keep nitrate levels at 20-40ppm although the hobby nitrate tests are pretty useless tbh so any measurements taken are fairly hopeless without calibrating it first using control samples.

My view is that unless you have particularly susceptible fish (e.g Salmonids) then a nitrate level below 50ppm will not do any harm providing you prevent it from rising over time and keep it under control.

Sc0tty
4th January 2013, 10:58

Many thanks matey. I will look into this.

reghorse
4th January 2013, 11:58
Many thanks matey. I will look into this.
Hi Sc0tty. I have the same problem as you with tap Nitrate 40ppm. Have tried all sorts of filter additives but no joy. I am using the same unit from Shirley as you and had success with the two smaller tanks but have not tackled the 330l yet bacause of the time it will take to treat an 80 litre water change. I have looked at the Pozzani range but not yet decided whether to go for it.
Reg.