PDA

View Full Version : Eheim professional 3 2080 external filter

Hamish
21st November 2011, 11:47
Hey guys,
My external filter has started to leak when I turn it off for maintenance so late last night (on my favourite auction website:-) I bought an eheim professional 3 2080 external filter......

(my girlfriend is possibly going to leave me due to how much I've paid....which to be honest would save me quite a bit of money as we're supposed to be getting married next year LOL ;-)

......and my questions are

(1) Has anyone got one of these running on there tank ?
(2) I tried to read as much info before I bought it but are there any quirks
with the machine that I should know about ?
(3) I have always used a much larger filter than recommended as I think this is better for both circulation and filtration, also I believe this filter is for tanks up to 1200lts ? my tank is slightly larger than 200lts-so the filter is far more than I need- but I am upgrading to a 5' or 6' tank within a year, and thought I could get this filter now and use it on my 4' until I got the bigger tank....can anyone see a problem with me doing this ?

many thanks, hope these questions are clear and hope the last one isn't too confusing ?

Hamish.

Aquatic Fanatic
21st November 2011, 13:04
And you could have got a new APS filter likely for the same price with warranty included :)

Hamish
21st November 2011, 19:29
How to make a fella feel better.....lol :-)

matsp
21st November 2011, 19:51
Hey guys,
My external filter has started to leak when I turn it off for maintenance so late last night (on my favourite auction website:-) I bought an eheim professional 3 2080 external filter......

(my girlfriend is possibly going to leave me due to how much I've paid....which to be honest would save me quite a bit of money as we're supposed to be getting married next year LOL ;-)

......and my questions are

(1) Has anyone got one of these running on there tank ?

Yup. Have one on my RIO400.

(2) I tried to read as much info before I bought it but are there any quirks with the machine that I should know about ?

None that I've found - other than "it's got three hoses", which isn't the common configuration. Oh, and it doesn't fit under my tank - but that's my own design rack.

(3) I have always used a much larger filter than recommended as I think this is better for both circulation and filtration, also I believe this filter is for tanks up to 1200lts ? my tank is slightly larger than 200lts-so the filter is far more than I need- but I am upgrading to a 5' or 6' tank within a year, and thought I could get this filter now and use it on my 4' until I got the bigger tank....can anyone see a problem with me doing this ?

The filter outputs a fair amount of flow - about 1700 lph. But unless you have fish that "don't like water movement", it'll be fine. And there is a lever to adjust the flow.

I have another 2000 lph circulation pump on my RIO400 (and until yesterday, I had a TetraTec EX1200 as well).

I can almost certainly say it's a better filter than the APS one... Only reason I'm not 100% sure is that I've never owned an APS filter.

--
Mats

Aquatic Fanatic
21st November 2011, 20:12
I can without doubt say there is nothing in it 100%. I've had as mentioned before eheim amongst other brands, but it's down to the individual what they choose to spend their money on.

Hamish
21st November 2011, 20:55
Cheers for your replies guys,
My current (leaking) filter is the tetratec EX1200, no idea why it's leaking but once the new filters up and running I'll take it apart and see if I can get it going again and keep it as a spare. I've not heard of the APS make to be honest and I really wanted an Eheim this time as I have had a couple of Eheim classics in the past with no problems.

thefishkeeper
21st November 2011, 21:07
Never had any problems with Eheim classics either. Brilliant filters, you just cant beat them.

matsp
21st November 2011, 22:11
My guess is that it's either leaking from the quick-release hose connectors (the o-rings not sealing properly) or (in my experience at least as likely) the priming pump-seal. I've fixed the latter using aquarium silicon after taking the filter apart. It's, from memory, 6 screws, two on top, four at the bottom. There's a rubber seal around the priming pump area that appears to leak, and then flood the inside of the filter housing, leading to seepage. Disassemble the priming pump mechanism, remove the rubber seal, then just drizzle a string of silicon on the plastic housing of the priming mechanism, and put it all back together.

--
Mats

Hamish
22nd November 2011, 05:50
Is the aim to seal the priming unit completely so it wont function ? need to ask this to prevent me using too much and doing some thing I shouldn't :-)

Hamish.

matsp
22nd November 2011, 07:46
No, my priming unit still works (as poorly) as before.

--
Mats

Hamish
23rd November 2011, 17:21
Holy Jesus.....I had no idea how big this filter was going to be.....my girlfriends even unhappier than she was :-)

Mat you wouldn't know where to get a copy of the instructions for the Eheim professional 3 2080 would you ? I'm going to look on google but just checking in case you know of a specific site cos I'm not sure how to work this beast of a machine :-)

Hamish.

matsp
23rd November 2011, 17:34
Told you it was BIG!

All external filter manuals:
http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=downloads_25071_ehen&list=afilter

It's really quite easy:
You need a white and a blue filter pad in the top part of the filter, and then the intake hoses to either end of the tank, and the outlet hose at one end.

The lever closes the hoses and when it's in the right-side position it allows the quick-release to be pulled up - the red button on the front is used to detach the quick-release for the three hoses - mine is a bit stiff.

Beyond that, it's no different from any other external filter.

--
Mats

Hamish
23rd November 2011, 17:41
Mate its ridiculous lol

thank you very much for that....just keeping my fingers crossed that when I wake up tomorrow I still have fish left in the tank :-)

Hamish
23rd November 2011, 20:08
Mats,
The filter in question came from a marine tank......and I've only just remembered that corys don't like salt, do you think it will be okay if I run it through a bucket of fresh water to wash the salt away ?
cheers man,

Hamish.

Acei
23rd November 2011, 20:17
Give everything a proper rinse and it should be fine.

matsp
23rd November 2011, 20:18
If it came from a marine tank, I'd take all the media out, wash it thoroughly in freshwater - using tank-water as the last step, but since marine bacteria is no use to freshwater fish, it's pretty meaningless to use tap-water for the first couple of rinses.

That is, assuming the filter media is regular Eheim selection, and not live-rock rubble, which is what is often recommended for marine tanks.

It also means you need to cycle the filter.

--
Mats

Hamish
23rd November 2011, 20:34
Aye its standard fare ehiem media, I'll wash it all off with fresh and tank water. I was also going to leave it running in my main tank with the other filter running at the same time for 6-8 weeks, also going to swap some of the media over from my current filter, so both filters running with a 50/50 mixture of old and new media.

I've done that before successfully....but the last time the filter was half the size...so not 100% sure about the bacteria levels and whether it will work safely in my tank ?

TLH
24th November 2011, 10:53
If your old filter coped fine you have enough bacteria. Just swap all your current filters media over to the Eheim straight off and you'll be fine.

Hamish
24th November 2011, 20:50
I understand what your saying but If I use both filters together for a few weeks would the new filter cause an ammonia spike ? I'd like to keep both filters active if possible ? plus the difference in size between the filters is really big and the media from the old filter would barely scratch the surface in the new one....

TLH
25th November 2011, 16:11
I don't see how the new filter could cause an ammonia spike. The only difference running both filters will make is you'll have bags and bags of flow. If you want that amount of flow then fine just seed some of your media over from your Tetratec to the Eheim. Your bioload will still only maintain the same amount of bacteria that was in your Tetratec though, you wont get more bacteria by running two filters.

Hamish
25th November 2011, 17:13
Cheers man, I just want to keep the old filter fresh and bacteria laden for the new tank I'm getting.....problem is I don't know when I'm getting it, so want to keep it running until then......the flow shouldn't be a problem, the fish should enjoy it. My only issue is the leak in the original filter, but I'll get round that by switching the media for a couple of days, then switch half back.
Thanks for your help and advice,

Hamish.

matsp
25th November 2011, 18:00
Stick the EX1200 filter media into the 2080, run the 2080, and then "steal back" some of the 2080 filter media into EX1200 when you've fixed it/need it again.

[Obviously, check the fix before starting to move media - you can perhaps do that in the bath with a bucket up high(ish) - or with a bucket on a kitchen surface and the filter in a bucket/tub]

--
Mats

suey2
25th November 2011, 21:25
How handy! I was just about to start a thread on this very subject. Hope you don't mind me hitching a ride on your thread but I'm looking at getting a couple of these for my own tanks. Have you got it going yet and if so how much noise does it make? Am currently running XP4s and they are not particularly quiet. I've got an Eheim Pro 22 something or other on a smaller tank and it's so quiet I have to put my hand over the outlet to convince myself it's working!

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who's used these :)

matsp
25th November 2011, 21:30
I have used all except the "Eco" range of recent Eheim filters [and the new "nano" range].

Although I thought the 22xx were the Eheim Clasic (2211, 2213, 2215, 2217, 2260, 2262), where the Pro (II, 3) are called 20xx?

It probably helps if you ask questions instead of requesting "feedback", as we can probably give feedback for almost ever, and still miss the particular point you may care about.

--
Mats

suey2
25th November 2011, 21:54
I'm really looking to find out how much noise they make?

The cabinets are not up against a wall, they are acting as room dividers at the moment so the sound of the filters isn't muffled by a wall. I have one rattling gently a couple of feet from my ear at the moment. The one I've got already is a Pro 2224 it seems (have just found the instruction book!). It says 'professional' on the canister, and the instructions say 2224 and the pic looks right but I downloaded the instructions from the internet as the previous owner didn't have them.

The XP4s are ok but they do rattle and hum a fair bit. If the Pro 3 2080 is as quiet as the 2224 it'd be worth the extra :) The other features such as adjustable flow rate look good, the XP4s have a adjuster on the spraybar to set the flow and this is handy. Obviously the large volume would be great for the goldies, plus I could add some extra media to sort out phosphates (high tap water phosphate round here).

But really, although it may sound daft, the main criteria above and beyond what the XP4s can do is the amount of noise they make, quieter the better! :)

matsp
25th November 2011, 22:07
Right, I have a 2080 on my RIO400 (which is a decent size tank, 5ft long, 20" wide, and 22" water height), and the 2080 is a BIG filter for this tank.

Photos in a few minutes to illustrate the size.

--
Mats

matsp
25th November 2011, 22:31
Here's an Eheim 2026 (similar size/shape as a 2222 or 2322) next to the 2080:
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=30264&stc=1&d=1322263338
The 2224 should be similar size to the 2028, which is a little taller.

[The 2026 is one I got off the same friend that got me the 2080, but I've not managed to fix the leaky problem with the 2026 - which is probably why it was in the tip!]

--
Mats

suey2
25th November 2011, 22:51
Thanks for the pics, that looks nice and big! Is it quiet though? The XP4s seem noisier for their size than the 2224, if that makes sense.

The noise is one of the main things for me. I've got two XP4s, one XP3, several airpumps and the 2224 going all in close proximity and all in my lounge. When you add up the noise it is quite loud so anything that makes it quieter would be good :)

As an aside, my 2224 leaked horribly at one point and then I realised (after a bit of a flood) that the o-ring round one of the nozzles that fits into the canister from the tubing had mysteriously vanished during a water change. Is it as simple as it needing new o-rings?

matsp
25th November 2011, 23:08
If I turn off my two air-pumps - particularly the 4-line one, I can barely hear the Eheim filters (and I have 5 of them in my living room). But the 2080 is a little louder than the smaller ones - what do you expect? My EX1200 however needs a kick somewhere, as it's rattling a lot. I will dismantle and clean it tomorrow - something isn't quite right there.

Yes, a new O-ring will probably fix the problem with the 2224.
--
Mats

Hamish
26th November 2011, 09:58
Thanks again Mats :-)

And no probs Sue, Hijack as much as you need :-)

I've not attached the 2080 to my tank yet, been crazy at work.....But I've had it running in a big gorilla bucket of water for a day and then a bath for the last 2 nights to get rid of any salt that could be left over from the previous use as a marine filter....I have to say it's the quietest filter I've used, there is a slight hum but honestly - I can't say anything about how good it is in the aquarium yet as I'm only going to put it in today - but it seems like its a damn fine filter......

.....and Mats advice is always spot on :-)

Hamish.

suey2
26th November 2011, 20:15
.....and Mats advice is always spot on :-)

Funnily enough, I said to my OH last night, 'if Mats says it's quiet, it's quiet' :)

Thanks for the info chaps :) I'm certainly leaning towards the Eheims more than ever now. The XP4s vary between running with a gentle hum and running like there's a lunatic whirling dervish running amok with a pneumatic drill inside them. The XP3s are fine, just a gentle hum, I was hoping the 4s would be the same. Maybe I've just struck unlucky.

Would be interested to hear how it goes when you set it up on the aquarium Hamish :)

Hamish
28th November 2011, 21:27
Well guys I've plugged it in.....and it's turned my aquarium into a 4ft jacuzzi...the fish seem to enjoy the current, although I'm not too sure about the plants lol

Sue It has a quiet hum, although when I first had it running it was nearly silent so I think maybe it has some air bubbles stuck in it, so it might settle. But as filters go I think it is really quite quiet and seems to function very well :-)