PDA

View Full Version : AquaOne - Horizon 50L ... anybody ?

Yardbent
27th July 2009, 08:23
I fancied a shoal of 10 WCMM in my spare 18x10x10 but ........
on advice from Mountain Cloud Lady only allowed 5-6
hmmm need bigger tank ! well that's my excuse ..... :D

Also fancied "open-top" to try growing blossoming plants

saw Aqua One Horizon 50 54liter kit at Pets at Home on sale at 59 from 109
comes with heater, internal filter, over-tank luminaire with a 18W T5 lamp

unable to locate info anyway on the web - even AquaOne
I'll go back and sneak a photo to upload tonight

1. does anybody have one ? ...................... comments please
2. is this a good genuine sale price ?
3 bought ammonia and will try cycling using "Susie's Diary"
in the 1950's we'd just chuck in a few mollies ............ :D

there Mountain Cloud Lady see wot you've started :rolleyes:

paulacg
27th July 2009, 08:52
Is it one of these? http://www.aquaone.co.uk/horizon.php

59 is a good price for a complete setup whatever it is - just check everything is there when you buy it.

Take your time with the cycle - it can be frustrating waiting but it's worth doing properly! You will probably get an outbreak of brown algae so get the cycle well underway before putting any plants in.

Paula

Yardbent
27th July 2009, 09:22
paula thanks

sorry - price was 129 complete kit [ plus stand 25 but not required ] on sale for 79

but is a 50L model, internal filter, heater, one T5 18W bulb, 2 sliding glass condensation trays

should be good for 15 WCMM ? :cool:

idea is to remove trays and have floating plants

hope r u feeling better with wee gifts from hubby ............:D

paulacg
27th July 2009, 09:34
Still not a bad price.

Feeling as rough as a badgers bottom, but I'll live. My pressie are all swimming around like nutters but i guess cories are just active as they don't seem distressed.

Floating plants are really nice for providing security for small fish - although I suspect they won't stop anything jumping out.

You're a bit over the inch per gallon rule with 15 WCMMs in 11 gallons, but I'm not a great expert.

Paula

Yardbent
27th July 2009, 09:42
Still not a bad price.

Floating plants are really nice for providing security for small fish - although I suspect they won't stop anything jumping out.

You're a bit over the inch per gallon rule with 15 WCMMs in 11 gallons, but I'm not a great expert.

Paula

do WCMM jump ??

ok will stick with 12 - should still make a nice shoal

MUST go to work now to pay for the new tank

paulacg
27th July 2009, 09:44
:) just be glad your able to.

Not sure that WCMM are particular jumpers - someone else will need to tell you that.

Paula

Yardbent
27th July 2009, 21:52
photo

it appears this is a special - made for Pets at Home by Aqua One and not available at LFS

YELLOWARMY
27th July 2009, 23:56
I fancied a shoal of 10 WCMM in my spare 18x10x10 but ........
on advice from Mountain Cloud Lady only allowed 5-6
hmmm need bigger tank ! well that's my excuse ..... :D

Also fancied "open-top" to try growing blossoming plants

saw Aqua One Horizon 50 54liter kit at Pets at Home on sale at 59 from 109
comes with heater, internal filter, over-tank luminaire with a 18W T5 lamp

unable to locate info anyway on the web - even AquaOne
I'll go back and sneak a photo to upload tonight

2. is this a good genuine sale price ?
3 bought ammonia and will try cycling using "Susie's Diary"
in the 1950's we'd just chuck in a few mollies ............ :D

there Mountain Cloud Lady see wot you've started :rolleyes:

i have this tank although it was sold to me as a 60l..

the light is long lasting and reliable and i have had no trouble with the heater . my tank came with an external filter so i can't comment on the internal filter although my filter broke within days . There is a small hole at the back of the tank which could be an issue if you plan on keeping fish that are prone to jump out of the tank .

7 out of 10 :D

YELLOWARMY
27th July 2009, 23:57
also i got mine (including stand) for £75

paulacg
28th July 2009, 03:06
It's certainly a nice looking little tank and compares quite well in price to that 30l arc thingy you can get - I had one of those for a short time until I reallised that it was too small for what I wanted to do with it. You'll be able to tell the build quality in the shop - but these little sub 100 tanks do tend to be a bit plasticy.

Paula

Yardbent
28th July 2009, 08:07
i have this tank although it was sold to me as a 60l..

7 out of 10 :D

Paula's link above shows the 60L - it's too long and deep with the HOB filter for my shelving space whereas the 50L at Pets is just 20"long
thanks for the comments
where did you buy yours ? Perth?

Yardbent
28th July 2009, 08:18
I- but these little sub 100 tanks do tend to be a bit plasticy. Paula

its by AquaOne and not bad quality for the price!

I have an AquaOne Marine 900 setup as a freshwater and have nothing but praise- the sealed light system is excellent and their external Aquis 1050 filter runs well - after sorting out their totally useless instruction manual . :D

paulacg
28th July 2009, 08:40
Sounds like a good deal then - there is certainly something to be said for a tank that fits where you want it. My 60l quarantine is sitting on the bottom of the fireplace because the stand was useless to the point of unsafe!

Paula

Yardbent
28th July 2009, 09:04
My 60l quarantine is sitting on the bottom of the fireplace ..................
Paula

what a fabulous idea - in a power failure just light the fire to heat the tank ... :D

why didn't I think of that :confused: instead of the expense of running pipes from the hotwater radiators :D

anyway - hope u r feeling a bit better - were u really up a 4:06am this morning ?

paulacg
28th July 2009, 09:26
I'm actually feeling worse! My throat has swollen up now. I'm 4 days in and no sign of improvement. But my asthma isn't particularly affected so I'm taking that as a win! And work have started being nicer about it - I think they've covered all my clinics now so they were quite laid back about me possibly not being back this week. I wouldn't want to be a NHS manager - they run with minimal staff anyhow without having whole teams decimated by Swine flu. Yes i was up between about 3:30 and 6 this morning. It was quite uncomfortable in bed so I got up and made myself a hot drink and then wasn't that tired. Paying for it now - need to go back to bed but I'm just more comfortable sitting up on the sofa!

I have this long, slightly tastless, fireplace that goes along 3/4 of the front wall of the living room. So the tank is actually a good 4 - 5 foot from the fire which I'm not using at this time of year. It's not ideal as I can't use a siphon to clean the gravel, but the fish are only in there for 2-3 weeks before going in the main tank. Between inhabitants I take all the water out, rinse the gravel a little, and put about half old, half new water back in. I'm going to get a stand made for it when I have the time and I'm not stuck indoors in quarantine.

Paula

Yardbent
28th July 2009, 09:56
Paula - hang in there !

I'm actually feeling worse! My throat has swollen up now. I'm 4 days in and no sign of improvement. But my asthma isn't particularly affected so I'm taking that as a win!

I have asthma too - not too severe tho. Seretide Accuhaler and Atrovent inhalers morning and evening - is this something I need to watch should I begin to feel flu-like. ??

Living alone out on a farm is a bit isolated but plan to call my [excellent] local GP if problems

retail therapy shopping now - off by buy the AquaOne Horizon 50 - then let the cycling begin !! .............. :cool:

paulacg
28th July 2009, 10:23
:) I'm sure it will look lovely.

I've had problems with my asthma when I've had flu or a bad chest cold in the past. I kinda knew I was doomed as the West Midlands has had a big outbreak and I work in the NHS.

Do you get reviews with an asthma nurse? The idea is that you have a personal plan. For example at the first sign of something like this I double my preventer and keep an eye on my peak flow - if it drops below a certain point I will contact my doctor. But it will differ for different people as asthma varies a lot. The government are advising people to identify a flu friend to pick up their tamiflu if they get Swine Flu symptoms: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

According to asthma uk, asthmatics are no more likely to get Swine Flu but are more likely to have complications http://www.asthma.org.uk/news_media/news/swine_flu_advice_for.html -

You can see what I've been dong while I've been off sick!!

Oh dear this seems to be a hybrid - cool 50l tank/Paula moaning about her not that serious illness thread. Sorry!

Paula

YELLOWARMY
28th July 2009, 12:59
Paula's link above shows the 60L - it's too long and deep with the HOB filter for my shelving space whereas the 50L at Pets is just 20"long
thanks for the comments
where did you buy yours ? Perth?

Dobbies in Perth .

i was quite tempted to get the Aquastart 320

paulacg
29th November 2009, 14:50
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I thought I'd reopen it to say that I picked one of these up for 63 today at pets at home. I'd gone in to pick up a clearseal tank as a backup hospital tank to sit in the spare room unless it was needed - I have the filter sponges from my spare filter in the canister filter in the new setup.

The clearseal was 30 without a lid or lights, so this kinda followed me home. It has lights, a small filter and a heater so would made an excellent starter tank. A bit extravagent for my needs!

Just 'borrowed' john's photo to show what it looks like.

Paula

Yardbent
29th November 2009, 18:02
. It has lights, a small filter and a heater so would made an excellent starter tank. Paula

that's an excellent price - mine was 79
also includes 2 sliding glass lids
the filter is small but powerful - replaced the coarse foam with fine foam

this is a really neat design, and an ideal Betta tank too

paulacg
29th November 2009, 18:13
Don't tempt me - it's a hospital tank for use only when required! There will not be permanent fish in it - no sir this will not happen.

Actually I may swap it over with the Hagen 60l I use as the quarantine as it's a smarter tank. I've got a Eheim Aquaball with it's sponges in my canister so I won't be using the filter it comes with - it can go with the stingray for the Hagen, which is also in my box of bits I'll never use. Actually new filters I could probably sell on eBay! I have a heater, but I don't quite trust it which was why I replaced it with a Rena Smart heater - so a spare heater never goes amiss!

Was impressed with how good value it was - which is why it came back with me rather than a clearseal.

Paula