PDA

View Full Version : molly fry at room temp?

daniel e
29th June 2009, 21:47
my dalmatian molly has just gave birth.
an i mite get a small tank to house them in an im wondering can i keep the fry at room temperature.

thanks for the help

ElwoodPDowd
29th June 2009, 22:28
They won't flourish at room temperature, they're pretty delicate. Could you maybe use a floating hatchery? I bought a marina net hatchery for about £3 first time I needed one and it's served me very well indeed.

daniel e
29th June 2009, 22:38
iv got a floating hatchery but im getting a new tank in a week and i dont want to put it in the main tank because it will spoil the apperence.

OldMan
30th June 2009, 01:53
This time of year, when I need to run the air conditioner to stay comfortable, they would be fine in my home at room temperature. I only cool my rooms to about 26C.

martin63
5th July 2009, 12:10
At this time of year room temperature tends to be warmer than normal so can't foresee too many problems but I would get a heater for when things start cooling down.

mountain cloud lady
8th July 2009, 22:41
In the warm weather they would probably be ok but tbh I keep mine heated with a min 25C baseline.

The babies are actually a breeze to rear IMO once you have kept them for a short while - they eat powder flake immediately and as long as they have some heat and salt they really blossom and grow VERY quickly! :)

owls_79
9th July 2009, 12:55
I had a breeding trio of swordtails which produced well over 100 good quality offspring in an outdoor pond over the summer (the last fry were removed at the end of October and over the entire summer period the pond temp varied between 19 and 28 C). The main issue is to avoid any sudden changes to water parameters which may occur in small tanks. They will be fine over the summer indoors but you will need to heat the water over winter when the room temps are likely to fluctuate due to colder ambient temperatures and possible use of central heating.

OldMan
11th July 2009, 01:37
Cloudy Lady, you are too restrictive in your requirements for mollies. You said "as long as they have some heat and salt they really blossom and grow VERY quickly!" but really as long as they have enough food and are warm enough, like maybe 24C, and have room to grow, they will grow. They do not require high heat although commercial breeders will use it to speed up growth and they do not, decidedly do not, require salt. Without any added salt they can look like this in just 5 weeks.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/Oldman1947/Mollies/MomNEm35_1024.jpg

As a matter of fact, that is exactly what they looked like in a little 10 gallon tank eating flake food in 5 weeks. BBS and more room would have been a bit quicker but I didn't have the room to move them and the BBS was more trouble than I wanted to bother with.

mountain cloud lady
11th July 2009, 10:39
So sorry for not wording as you wished. Perhaps it did sound a bit too specific. Of course a quality diet, good water quality and a suitable 'ambient' temp are the right ingredients for the fry to grow. That is true of any fish.

I have found though, in own experience that they DO respond well to some salt added to the water. My own mollies were prone to shimmying, despite good water quality, but I widely read about mollies habitat being such that it often came into contact with very slightly saline water and that they appreciated more salt than many other aquarium fish. Having adjusted to this, it was no coincidence that the shimmying stopped, and that breeding conditions accelerated further.

Being 'too specific' may actually be just my way of trying to attend to a fishes individual needs. And these do vary from species to species.

It may be deemed uneccessary by you, but I have had good results with this as part of my care regime and have healthy fish. That is good enough for me. So hopefully we are free to choose. My own fish would at least be as healthy as you own - not that it is a 'competition.

Each to their own - if that is ok with you? :)

OldMan
12th July 2009, 12:34
I also get a good response form my own methods Cloud Lady. The shimmy is something that I have seen before when I lived in other places and had different water. At that time I used sea salt because it seemed to work for me. Now that I have done my homework and have figured out what the chemistry involved was, I realize that my hard, high pH water is what allows me to avoid using sea salt. I am well aware that common aquarium mollies can be quite comfortable living in a salt water reef tank but I don't like to limit myself that much with my fish. It would mean no plants and very few other easy fish to go with my mollies. As you can see in the picture that I posted, my pure freshwater female is in vibrant good health.

mountain cloud lady
12th July 2009, 16:30
I don't think I'm limiting myself with my mollies because I decided that for me, they were best to have as a species fish on their own. Especially in view of their prolific breeding habits. On that basis good reasons for me to keep them on their own and set up other tanks whereby I can choose different types of fish.

I move very slowly with my stocking of fish - but I don't regret my cautiousness and like to think that the fish I do have, have had some decent care - rather than rushing out and getting lots of fish and then making mistakes that might harm them.

Regarding the salt issue, I just add literally a few granules of aquarium salt with their weekly water change - and with the low amounts involved I don't have any problems with my plants.